This advanced sculpting and modeling course will help you understand what studios are sending as tests to their applicants.
Type: Online Certificate (Watch a Sample Class)
This advanced course will teach students how to model a character in a 3D sculpting software, retopologize the character in Topogun, texture the character , then bake maps out for final shots in Marmoset. Maps baked include normal maps, diffuse maps, ambient occlusion maps and alpha maps.
- Award Winning Proprietary Online Campus
- Studio Setting (20% Theory, 80% Practice)
- Weekly Live Sessions (Synchronous)
- Access 24/7 to Online Campus (Asynchronous 24 hrs, 7 days a week)
- 15:1 Student Ratio
- 1:1 Personalized Critiques
Class Times, Assignments & Workload
- Classes are delivered Online
- Weekly Live Classes on Mondays and Wednesdays, 8:30am or 7:30pm Pacific Time (1 hour sessions per day, you can take classes from your workplace, arrange it with your employer)
- Weekly Assignments (Four assignments total per month)
- Assignments Workload: 15 - 25 hours per week
- Weekly 1 on 1 personalized critiques (4 critiques total per month)
- Total hours of instruction: 8 hours
- Total hours of assignments: 60 - 100 hours
Advanced Character Modeling - Science Fiction Hard Surface Sculpting
Advanced Character Modeling - Character Art Test
Advanced Character Modeling - Human Anatomy
Who should attend this class?
To successfully complete Advanced Character Modeling – Character Art Test. Students should have a familiarity and working knowledge of ZBrush or Mudbox. This includes basic brushes, customizing your interface, importing and exporting obj format as well as using the basic transform tools (move, scale and rotate). We also recommend students know how to use and apply masks , polygroups and isolate selection tools.
Students should be familiar with UV mapping low poly objects in 3D Software at a steady speed. (the process of cutting edges, selecting UV islands, and using unfold).
A standard art test has a 2 week deadline. This course provides four weeks to complete but still provides an intensive pace of work. Students should be good at time management for course assignments.
This course covers training for new users to Marmoset Toolbag and Xnormal.
A digital 3D sculptiing software such as Zbrush and/or Mudbox. You can download Sculptris for free here. Please note we are not teaching the software, rather the concepts behind it.
Studios provide art tests for character art positions, testing for quality, speed, mapping ability and final presentation of the character model. This course will teach you not only to create a high quality character correctly, but it will help you to present your final images at their highest potential.
Upon completion students will add to their personal portfolio:
- a ZBrush/Mudbox rendered, greyscale, art test character and accessories.
- a ZBrushh/Mudbox rendered, polyframe, art test character and accessories.
- a ZBrushh/Mudbox rendered, polypainted and textured accessory sheet.
- a Marmoset rendered, fully textured and lit art test character.
- a Photoshop series, of images containing normal maps, diffuse maps, specular maps and transparency maps.
One (1) credits
Credits of this course can be used towards our Diploma Programs within six months of application.
A Vancouver Animation School Certificate is a short term duration in a specialized training program. We are a studio and student centric school (20% theory 80% hands on). Students will graduate with a Certificate credential.
John Miller has worked in Graphic Design for 12 years, 8 years in the video game industry as a Senior Environment and Senior Character Artist. John has most recently worked on Diablo 3 at Blizzard Entertainment, Dead Rising for Capcom Vancouver and a new unannounced IP at Double Helix Games in Irvine California. Click here for John's portfolio